Way back in March of 2007, I started the 101 in 1001 challenge. I made a list of 101 goals I hoped to complete in 1001 days, or, roughly 2.5 years. November 26, Thanksgiving, is my 1001st day. I’ve got exactly 41 days to finish my goals. And now, seeing as it’s the middle of October, I’m realizing that it’s just not going to happen. But maybe that’s okay.
The biggest lesson I learned while attempting this challenge, is that life changes. A lot. Two and half years is a long time. A lot can change.
I got married (for the second time – shhhh, don’t tell anyone!). I started my first real job. I bought a house. I landed a great job. I went back to college.
I wrote, in 2007, “Buy a House” as number 56 on my list of goals. But I never thought it would happen. Not in a million years. It was a stretch to say the least, but it happened.
I never, in a million years, expected things to just fall into place. When Andrew and I left Kosovo in the first week of November 2007, we didn’t have a house. We didn’t have jobs. We didn’t even have a plan. And yet, somehow, someway, things happened. Things worked themselves out.
What’s Left to Accomplish:
7. Get another tattoo.Â
13. Pay off my car.
14. Update my will.Â
22. Collect at least 50 quotes that inspire me. [34/50]Â
24. Go on a road trip by myself.Â
28. Discover 5 new poets who inspire me. [1/5]Â
29. Create a scrapbook about the Kosovo deployment.Â
34. Buy a fire proof safe.
35. Write letters to David and Joe, then burn them. [0/2]Â
41. Go out to dinner by myself.Â
43. Stay a size 4.Â
46. Make a list of at least 25 songs that mean the world to me, then blog about each one. [8/25]
47. Take a class that is totally unrelated to my major, just because.Â
48. Get a library card.Â
49. Re-visit New York City.
50. Get waxed.
53. Visit Davidâ€™s grave.Â
61. Become a big sister for Big Brothers Big Sisters.Â
65. Go back to Asheville, NC.Â
72. Go back to Athens, Ohio.Â
88. Donate at least $100 to charity. [$65/$100]Â
94. Read at least 15 banned or challenged books. [8/15]Â
100. Drive part of the Skyline Drive.Â
101. Start over with a new 101 in 1001 once this one is complete.Â
Twenty-four goals. That’s almost 25%.
I better get a move on.