In Colorado, one of the bloggers I was with asked what food we’d pick if we could only eat one food for the rest of our lives. My instant response as I snarfed down my second bowl of mac and cheese in two days was, of course, mac and cheese! But then my mind kept populating with other delicious food stuffs that I’d be totally okay eating forever and ever and so then I figured I should make a list, because really, lists are my favorite.
1. Mac & Cheese. No, but really. I could eat all of the mac and cheese and one of the top goals on my life list is to eat mac & cheese in each of these United States. I’m not picky when it comes to mac & cheese. I can eat simple mac & cheese, made with velveeta, or even out of that fabulous blue box, but I can do fancy mac & cheese as well, with truffle oil or bacon or brie or apple or special and spiffy noodles. I don’t discriminate when it comes to mac & cheese.
2. Tacos. I shared with you all my favorite taco recipe and I honestly, no shit, have probably eaten those tacos once a week for the past six months. Really, the only thing that keeps me from eating them more often than that is my fear that I will get sick of them although I don’t know anyone could get sick of something so magically delicious as those damn tacos. All that said, I don’t discriminate when it comes to tacos either. Tacos Carnitas, with some lime and cilantro, is what I order each and every time I go out for Mexican.
3. Popcorn. I probably pop myself some popcorn 2-3 times each week, on average. It’s one of the few foods I crave that I don’t ever have to feel guilty about eating because popcorn isn’t that bad for you. In fact, it’s kind of good for you. I’m of course not talking about the shit from a microwaveable bag or from a movie theater, I’m talking about real popcorn kernels popped on a stove with a little bit of oil or in an air popper. I want the real shit. I don’t want no chemically altered pseudo popcorn. I want it freshly popped, drizzled with a touch of olive oil, then sprinkled with salt, pepper and a little bit of garlic powder. I might not discriminate when it comes to tacos and mac & cheese, but damn if I’m not a connoisseur of fine popcorns.
4. Cheese. If there’s a cheese plate on the menu, I’ll order it. One of my favorite places to take people in Richmond is Secco, this fabulous little wine bar with an ever changing list of meats and cheeses. They’ve got cheese from goats and sheeps and cows and occasionally other milk-producing critters, and it’s amazing. I love cheese. It’s that simple really. I want to eat all of it. Friends of mine who have ever had the pleasure of sitting around my dining table know that there’s always some bits of cheese that can be brought out for nibbles, no matter how short the notice of their arrival. There is always good cheese in my fridge. Always.
5. Avocados. Along with cheese, there’s almost always a few avocados in my fridge. I put them on everything. On the tacos and in my salads and also, there’s guacamole, which really does taste better when made fresh in my own kitchen. Avocados got that good fat so I don’t have to feel too terribly guilty about eating them. Sometimes I just cut one in half, sprinkle a little salt and pepper on it and eat it because really, that creamy green goodness is fabulous enough to stand on it’s own.
If you had to pick five foods to eat for the rest of your life, what would they be?
And yes I know sheep is the plural of sheep and that sheeps is ridiculous, but the thing is, I don’t really care. I’m a pluralization honey badger. Sheeps! Deers! Gooses!